New Technology Could Prevent Bicycle Accidents
Bicycling is on the upswing in Nevada. This is despite the challenges that cyclists face in sharing the road safely with cars and other motor vehicles, especially on city streets.
Far too often, accidents between cars and bikes seriously injure cyclists despite their best efforts to stay safe. The consequences of these collisions can be long-lasting, and sadly many bicycle crashes are fatal. However, there is some good news: New technologies are being developed to keep bicyclists and motorists safer.
Tech Innovations to Help Cyclists and Cars on the Road
The latest technological developments focus on helping cyclists and motor vehicle drivers to co-exist safely. Transportation safety advocates are on board, encouraging technology to be used as a tool to make bike riders and drivers more aware of each other.
Some technology is being integrated into the features of vehicles. Others are “wearables” that are part of cyclists’ jackets, smart watches, helmets, or other gear.
Here are a few examples:
- Exit Warning – Cyclists are often hit when a car door opens. This system is designed to prevent the door from opening if a bike is approaching. Similar systems use a visual or audible warning instead.
- Sensors – Some makes and models of cars have special sensors to automatically alert drivers to brake when a cyclist is detected. They are especially helpful with blind spots.
- Jackets – Cyclists wear a special jacket that can enable them to display emojis to communicate to drivers their intentions and their emotions.
- WheelSwap – This is a virtual reality tool that helps drivers and cyclists understand the challenges each other faces.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in Las Vegas?
Bicycle accidents that result in fatalities are all too common in Las Vegas. They represent 71 percent of all fatal traffic accidents. This is true in most urban areas, where vehicles and bikes share roads that are not designed to accommodate bikes.
If you’re hitting the road on a bicycle, know that these are the most dangerous intersections in Last Vegas for cyclists:
- Las Vegas Boulevard at Caesars Palace Drive
- Nellis Boulevard at Cedar Avenue
- Las Vegas Boulevard at Flamingo Road
In addition, these are the most perilous roads for bicycle riders:
- Las Vegas Boulevard
- Charleston Boulevard
- Flamingo Road
The majority of bicycle accidents happen between the hours of 6 p.m. and 9 p.m. If you’re going to be riding at night, make sure that your bike is properly outfitted with lights and reflectors. Protect yourself from serious head injuries by wearing a helmet at all times.
How Can THE702FIRM Injury Attorneys Help Me?
Bicycle accidents can result in some of the most catastrophic injuries. They’re also especially common in busy urban areas like Las Vegas. If you’ve been hurt in a crash, get in contact with a bicycle accident lawyer at THE702FIRM Injury Attorneys right away.
In Nevada, compensation in a bike accident claim can cover medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, pain and suffering, and other losses.
Your comfort is important to us. Our lawyers can meet with you virtually or wherever is most convenient for you.
Don’t wait another minute to get started on the path to justice. Contact us today for a free consultation with an experienced Las Vegas bike accident attorney.
THE702FIRM is a personal injury expert law firm in Las Vegas, Nevada. They represent the victims of personal injuries resulting from motor vehicle accidents, slip & fall, and more. If you know someone who suffered a serious accident, contact the 702 lawyers today for a free consultation.