Important Questions to Ask Your Car Accident Lawyer in Las Vegas
You’ve been hurt in a Las Vegas car crash. You’re in pain. You can’t work. Now it’s time to talk to a car accident lawyer.
If you’re like many people, you’ve probably never needed an injury attorney before. Knowing who to hire — and what questions to ask — may leave you feeling confused and nervous.
Don’t worry. At THE702FIRM Injury Attorneys, we understand that the stakes are high. That’s why we have outlined the most important questions to ask your car accident lawyer below.
What to Look For When Hiring a Car Accident Lawyer
Not all car accident lawyers are created equal. Nor will every attorney be right for you. Here are some things to consider as you start your search.
- Expertise: Work with a law firm that exclusively handles personal injury cases. Just as you would not see an eye doctor to treat a heart problem, you don’t want to contact a divorce lawyer about your car accident case. A car accident lawyer will know how to identify who is responsible for the wreck, what proof you need, and how to negotiate effectively with the insurance company to claim the maximum damages you deserve.
- Experience: You need a lawyer with extensive experience handling car accident claims and fighting against stubborn insurance companies. You’ll also want someone with trial experience and favorable results. While most car accident claims end in a settlement, sometimes going to trial is the only way to recover the full damages you deserve.
- A track record of success: Lawyers are used to being asked about their case results. You may be able to view examples of past wins on the law firm’s website. You can also ask the attorney for their individual results and references.
- Compassion: A car accident leaves you physically and emotionally vulnerable. Your lawyer should understand this and listen to you with a compassionate ear. Don’t hire an attorney if you don’t feel that your voice is heard.
When you find a lawyer with these qualities, your injury claim will be off to a good start. You can feel reassured that you are working with the right attorney for your case.
Questions to Ask Your Potential Car Accident Lawyer
- Should I pursue the case? Not all car accidents will result in a claim or lawsuit. A lawyer can advise on the merits of your case during a free consultation.
- What damages can I claim? The damages available in car accident claims are intended to compensate you for all of your injuries and losses. A car accident lawyer can identify all the damages you are eligible for, including your medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, and more.
- How are your fees structured? Most car accident lawyers, including THE702FIRM Injury Attorneys, work on a contingency fee basis. In these arrangements, you will not be expected to pay any upfront costs for the lawyer to work on your case. Instead, the attorney’s fees will be deducted from any verdict or settlement won on your behalf. It’s very important to understand your financial obligations before hiring a lawyer, so don’t be afraid to ask for clarification if you need more details.
- How long will my case take? No one can determine the exact duration of your case. The facts matter, as well as any developments that may arise as the insurance company reviews your demand for compensation. However, your lawyer should be able to advise on the complexities of the case and provide a general timeline.
- Will you be the one working on my case? Many lawyers use a senior partner for advertising and then when it is time to start working on the case, they hand off the work to an associate. While these professionals are highly competent and qualified, if it is important to you that you work with the specific lawyer you interview, this is a question you need to ask.
- Will I have the final say on certain decisions? While a lawyer will take care of many of the legalities associated with your claim, it is always your case. Your attorney can advise on whether a settlement is fair or if trial might be a better option to achieve your needs and goals. However, you can choose to follow the advice or opt for a different course of action.
- What should I do after the crash? A lawyer can take care of nearly every aspect of your case, but that does not mean that during the weeks and months following a crash, you only need to sit back and wait for your settlement check. A lawyer should advise you to attend your medical appointments, stay off social media, and remain involved in your case. All of this can help you protect your claim for compensation.
- Can you provide references? The best advertising is word of mouth, and that applies in the legal industry, too. You should ask a lawyer to provide contact information for past clients so that you can discuss their experience with the firm privately. When speaking to past clients, ask if they liked the attorney, if they were satisfied with the results, and what (if anything) they wished was different about their experiences. All of these answers will give you a better idea of who you will be working with and what they can do for you.
- What information do you need from me? You can provide your car accident lawyer with many types of important documentation. Photos, the police accident report, the names and contact information of any witnesses, and medical records will all be valuable pieces of evidence in your injury claim. A lawyer will advise on what information they need from you to give you the best chance of success.
Before meeting with your potential car accident lawyer, write these questions down, and any others you may have, so you receive that you leave feeling informed and confident in your decision.
Knowing When a Lawyer is Right for Your Car Accident Case
In addition to making sure a lawyer is capable, competent, and able to answer all of your questions, you also must ensure you feel comfortable with any attorney that takes your case.
You will have to speak to your attorney about very personal issues, including the extent of your injuries, the treatment you are receiving, and how they are affecting your life. To do this, you must find an attorney you fully trust. If you are not comfortable with the lawyer for any reason, they’re not the right one for your case.
Is THE702FIRM Injury Attorneys Right for Me?
The skilled Las Vegas car accident lawyers at THE702FIRM Injury Attorneys are happy to answer all of your questions in a free consultation. Call or contact us now.